Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sundae

I woke up with a start this morning - it was 11:00 and we had to be at the studio at noon so Joe could start recording. I underestimated how long it would take to set everything up, so I took my time getting around while Joe frantically fluttered around the door waiting for me. We got to our friends' house and loaded all the drums and guitar into cars and took off, arriving at the school about 10 minutes before Joe had the studio. I didn't think anything of it.

Really quick, let me point out something that could potentially be confusing. My fiance is Joe H. The band he recorded, The Long Gone, contains our friends Dusty and Joe D. Two Joes, things might get twisted up for those who don't know them. My apologies.

We carried all of the band equipment into the studio and started setting up while Joe went to the School of Communications Resource Room and the guy who had the studio until noon finished up. I went into the control room to see what the guy (I never caught his name) was up to. He had just finished editing songs by his band, The Woodtones. Holy amazing folk music! He played a couple of their songs for me - I think I've found a new favorite band. He told me they were hoping to put together an EP, and I really hope they do.

After Joe got everything mic'ed (there's no good way to spell that) and checked all the sound, we got to recording. The boys started out by playing a tune they called "Back Porch Blues," an instrumental track with a good lilt which we found ourselves bopping to while the boys jammed outside. They also recorded "Burnin' Down Blues" (they're a blues band, if you didn't catch that), which was another really great tune. Joe and Dusty are really talented guys and intelligent musicians with great taste. 'My' Joe edited the last song they recorded, "This is True," and did some really great panning on a jam section in the song and I'm really excited to hear how he works these new songs out. We had a really great and fun day with two talented musicians who produced two awesome new songs that the world needs to hear.

By this point it was almost 5 PM, and Joe and I hadn't eaten all day. We had discussed making matzo ball soup but as we were driving home, making dinner sounded like effort. I know that's a terrible excuse to run to fast food, but man did tacos sound good. So, we enjoyed some Taco Bell and shortly thereafter sank into half-naps. What a glorious day!

There's been a lot of blithering in this post. I'm sure most of it is just garble that can be ignored, but let me leave you with this: new Ben and Jerry's flavors. Intrigued? Yeah, you are. I don't remember how the topic came about (other than an insatiable taste for ice cream), but Joe told me that there were some new Ben and Jerry's flavors. Yum! So I looked up their website to pick out a couple potential favorites and made a top three list. I decided to try the Maple Blondie, and Joe got the Milk & Cookies. Mine was really delectable - I was expecting overly saccharine sweetness but I found that I could enjoy it quite well. I would have paired it with a glass of water, but I didn't want to stand up. Joe's flavor was super wonderful. I'll definitely be getting that one next time. I'd recommend it to anyone. The other night Joe brought home a pint of the Boston Creme Pie flavor and, BCP being one of my favorite flavors of everything else, I was expecting greatness. However, it was that overtly cloying sweetness I feared from the Maple Blondie. It tastes great, and is wonderful in small quantities but not good for eating a whole pint. That's probably a good thing, though. I really shouldn't be eating pints of ice cream. Fortunately I don't eat a pint of ice cream very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment